Weavers Way Co-op is looking for an energetic, creative and experienced individual to join our team as Human Resources Manager. Weavers Way is a passionate, community-driven organization that seeks to bring people together to share their ideas and work towards a common goal. We are looking for someone who is deeply caring about people and is highly knowledgeable in a variety of HR functions. This position will focus on proactively and effectively implementing strategies in the areas of staff engagement, compensation, attracting top talent, streamlining processes and building relationships with both internal and external stakeholders. Reporting to the General Manager, this role is a key position within the Co-op.
The HR Manager will be responsible for both the strategic elements and the day-to-day operations of running the department. They will also supervise the HR Coordinator. The scope of responsibilities for the position includes, but is not limited to:
- Talent Acquisition: Ensure open positions are filled in a timely manner, using a broad variety of methods to ensure a diverse, qualified applicant pool. It is expected that partnerships with community and social organizations that place applicants will be utilized, maintained and cultivated.
- Compensation: Work to develop the Co-op’s compensation strategic plan and ensure it is fair and competitive in order to attract and retain talented staff. Work with internal stakeholders to develop the fiscal year labor budget and explore ways to control labor costs, all the while re-enforcing the Co-op's emphasis on full-time employment.
- Benefits Administration: Control benefits costs by utilizing brokers, negotiating with service providers and examining options. Provide benefits information to employees while maintaining eligibility compliance with all health and welfare benefits. Ensure HIPAA and ACA compliance. Manage ACA tracking and reporting.
- Retirement Plan Administration: Serve on the Co-op’s Retirement Plan Committee and ensure the committee meets in accordance with regulations. Act as main point-of-contact for retirement plan Third Party Administrator. Provide information on the Co-op’s retirement plan to all eligible employees.
- Training and Development: Work with other stakeholders and third parties to develop new training programs for staff, and develop an annual budget for staff trainings, development and wellness programs. Explore alternative, affordable options to increase staff engagement, knowledge and autonomy in their work.
- Personnel Policies: Maintain employee manual and draft new policies as needed, and oversee the staff and management team review and input process. As needed, convene an ad-hoc Policy Manual Review committee to periodically review and update the staff policy manual. Maintain liaison with legal counsel regarding policy matters, including keeping policies compliant with applicable law.
- Payroll: Enter all newly hired staff, submit payroll memo to Finance on a bi-weekly basis, update pay rates, withholdings, garnishments, etc., as needed.
- Orientation and On-Boarding: Complete new hire paperwork with staff, ensure new employees receive information about policies and procedures, and set up/conduct new hire orientations on a monthly basis.
- Labor Law Compliance: Ensure compliance with labor law in all matters related to applicant screening, hiring, promotion, termination and record keeping. A fundamental understanding of all applicable labor laws, including but not limited to: Fair Labor Standards Act (FLSA); Title VII of Civil Rights Act; Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA); and Family Medical Leave Act (FMLA) is required.
This position requires adaptability, a high level of customer service for all internal customers and the ability to communicate with various personality styles. As we have three locations, this position requires travel, and a car will be needed. Further qualifications include:
- Minimum of 5 years’ experience as a human resources generalist or other related field.
- Bachelor’s degree in human resources, interpersonal communication, business or other related field highly desirable.
- Commitment to the mission and goals of Weavers Way Co-operative Association.
- Experience in talent acquisition/recruiting.
- Demonstrated knowledge of compensation and benefits programs.
- Demonstrated knowledge of employment law and personnel policies.
- Computer literacy.
- Exhibited ability to work well in a team setting.
- Proven understanding of and ability to uphold personnel and operational policies and procedures.
- Strong verbal and written communications skills with supervisors, staff and members; ability to speak to large groups.
- Attention to detail and good organizational skills.
- Demonstrated ability to maintain confidentiality regarding employee information and communications.
- Demonstrated ability to multi-task, prioritize workload and remain calm under stress.
- Demonstrated ability to work independently, exercising independent judgment when necessary.
- Exhibited ability to follow through on commitments.
- Be or become upon hiring a member in good standing of Weavers Way Co-op.
This is a salary-exempt position with general hours being Monday through Friday. As a salaried employee, the expectation is that you will work more than 40/week hours when needed.
We have an excellent benefits package including medical and dental insurance, paid vacation and sick time, retirement plan and employee discount.
Founded in 1973, Weavers Way is a community-owned natural grocer with stores in Mt. Airy, Chestnut Hill and Ambler. In addition to our stores, we run a market farm in the Awbury Arboretum, a CSA farm partnership with Saul High School, our own community newspaper and a non-profit that emphasizes food and nutrition education. We operate based on a triple bottom line philosophy that considers our community and environment in all of our decisions.
We are looking to fill the position ASAP. Interested applicants are highly encouraged to learn more about us at www.weaversway.coop prior to applying. Cover letter and resume required, along with salary requirements.
How to contact us
Weavers Way Cooperative
559 Carpenter Lane
Philadelphia, PA 19119