Weavers Way is seeking an experienced Communications Manager to join our team. Weavers Way is a passionate organization that does many things for the communities in which we serve, for the environment and for our shoppers. We are looking for someone to share these stories in creative and engaging ways across multiple media including our website, our newspaper and various social media platforms. This position will focus on proactively and effectively promoting Weavers Way using public relations, media relations and a specific emphasis on the growth and enhancement of social media and digital platforms. At its core, this position requires highly effective communication across a variety of written and digital materials. Reporting to the Art Director, this role is a key position within the Co-op.
This role will be one of the primary liaisons with internal and external stakeholders to network and promote the Co-op’s message, mission and goals through:
- Ensuring publication and distribution of the Shuttle (our newspaper) on a monthly basis, working with vendors as appropriate, seeking advertisers and setting advertising rates to maintain the Shuttle at a breakeven or positive cash position after all labor, production and mailing costs. Solicit and edit articles and photographs.
- Organizing and facilitating the schedule of website content, working with the Art Director and Development Manager to ensure accurate, timely content.
- Sending out an e-newsletter on a monthly basis (or more frequently if needed) and keeping the “contact” list up to date using information from the membership department.
- Authoring and disseminating press releases, and preparing a yearly communications plan for the Shuttle and external public relations that takes into consideration the Co-op's goals.
- Informing members and the public about special events and joint ventures with other institutions, advertising the Co-op externally and assisting with Co-op outreach activities.
- Monitoring and supervising social media activities during and after hours. Executes and maintains analytics for social media platforms using best practices to develop key indicators to set benchmarks, gauge success and drive engagement with both current and prospective members.
- Traveling to other store locations as needed.
This is a full-time, salaried position, based on a five-day work week. At times, there may be a necessity to work evenings or weekends to meet certain deadlines.
EXPERIENCE, EDUCATION & SKILLS:
- Previous experience in publishing, editing, professional writing or other applicable fields. Knowledge of Adobe InDesign required.
- Commitment to the mission and goals of Weavers Way Cooperative Association.
- Commitment to superior customer service.
- Exhibited ability to work well in a team setting.
- Strong verbal and written communications skills.
- Attention to detail and good organizational skills.
- Demonstrated ability to work independently and exercise independent judgment.
- Exhibited ability to follow through on commitments.
- Knowledge of co-ops preferred.
- Computer literate, including Microsoft Word, Microsoft Excel and using email.
- Be or become upon hiring a member in good standing of Weavers Way Co-op.
Founded in 1973, Weavers Way is a community-owned natural grocer with stores in Mt. Airy, Chestnut Hill and Ambler. In addition to our stores, we run a market farm in the Awbury Arboretum, a CSA farm partnership with Saul High School, our own community newspaper and a non-profit that emphasizes food and nutrition education. We operate based on a triple bottom line philosophy that considers our community and environment in all of our decisions.
Interested applicants are highly encouraged to learn more about us at www.weaversway.coop prior to applying. Cover letter and resume required.
How to contact us
Weavers Way Cooperative
559 Carpenter Lane
Philadelphia, PA 19119